Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Something from nothing

Hi to all blog readers. This is going to be my first posting in my blog and to be totally honest, I'm not all together sure what to write? My girlfriend Katrina turned me on to the idea of setting up a blog. She had made mention to me in the past that I seem to have a vast grasp of worthless knowledge, the kind that people grin and giggle about all the while asking themselves "that was funny" or "wow never thought of that" or "interesting point...how the hell did you know that?" It's a vague discription to be sure, and I can't think of a better way to make it much clearer. But if you drop in to have a look at anything I've posted, chances are it'll start to make sense at some point.

Maybe this will help...I took the inspiration for the title of my blog from the movie Men in Black. When Will Smith is being recruited by Tommy Lee Jones, he asks why bother with all the cover up? His reason is "people are smart...they can handle it." Jones responds "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicy, irrational creatures and you know it. 1,000 years ago everyone knew the sun was at the center of the universe. 500 years ago everyone knew that the Earth was flat. And 10 minutes ago you knew that people were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow." Now yeah, all that is kind of an unnerving thought process, but it can be such an amazing understanding. I've spent the overwhelming majority of my corporate life (30 out of a whopping 36 months) in a totally commissioned job. So sometimes after getting up, coming into work when a beautiful sunshining day beckons you to the golf course, and getting shelled all day long only to make no money at the end of a 10 hour day, you have to find a way to take something from nothing. I choose knowledge. I try to remind myself that I now know something today that I didn't know yesterday. Tomorrow, I will know something that I didn't know today. On that note, imagine what you'll know tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

Imagine who you will know and where you will be.

7:53 AM  
Anonymous CCC said...

Topher - I love your writing. Keep it up!

7:48 AM  
Anonymous ericka said...

No wonder you and I have such amazing conversations. You are probably one of the most insightful and stimulating people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Love the blog.

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home