Friday, April 04, 2008

My Favorite Thing to Cook

A few days ago, I made a sandwich. It was a bologna sandwich. I am really not that big a fan of bologna. I don’t eat it all that often, and I haven’t eaten it by itself on a sandwich since I was probably 7 or 8. I made it on this particular day for Trina. It’s what she wanted, and there was a specific method of assembly that had to be followed. It went toasted bread, mayo, bologna folded, cheese, bologna folded again, cheese again, spinach, and then the other piece of toasted bread also with a little dusting of mayo. I wanted to put a little flare into it somehow. Toast it all together, melt the cheese, do some kind of seasoning, something like that. She told me not to, and the way she wanted it was how I made it.

People ask me, usually when I am cooking, what’s my favorite thing to cook? I think it’s mostly polite conversation mixed with a minor quiz about what else I know how to make. The truth is, I can make a lot of things. I can do meats, seafood, maybe some surf and turf, a few soups, tons of different appetizers, flambéed desserts, and we have even experimented with various flavored vodkas…which I agree isn’t really cooking, but still recipe sensitive and presentation worth.

But my favorite thing to make is what has affectionately taken on the name “The Spanglish Sandwich”. It comes from something that Adam Sandler makes himself in the movie, Spanglish, and Trina asked me one day if I could make it. I figured I probably could, so I took a shot at it, and the recipe goes like this:

2 pieces of bread
2 pieces of American cheese
a few slices of tomato
1 egg
butter

Butter one side of each piece of bread, and place it butter-side down in a frying pan. Place one piece of cheese on each slice of bread, and cook until golden brown. If you’re playing along at home, yes, this is an open-faced grilled cheese sandwich. While this is going on, fry the egg to whatever temperature you prefer. I usually do it over well with no runny, but it’s up to you. Once it’s all done, place the egg on one piece of bread, the sliced tomato on the egg, cover with the other piece of bread, cut it on the diagonal, and munch.

To be honest, it’s not my thing. It really doesn’t appeal to me all that much. I’m not a big fan of fried eggs, and it sounds like an odd combination of flavors, but I guess they go together. All of this begs the question, “why is this my favorite thing to cook?”

Simple…. Trina loves it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Abby said...

It's your favorite thing to cook because it's a-MAZING! I can't believe you don't like them.

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home