Tuesday, April 29, 2008

On the Radio

I’m not a political person. I don’t comment on the political climate. I don’t watch C-Span or CNN to see what the Presidential candidates are doing and saying. It’s not my thing. I don’t like watching it, hearing it, learning about it, and therefore I don’t often talk about it. When people ask me whom I am going to vote for, I avoid the topic. When they press me about it, clearly wanting to talk about various candidate’s attributes, I generally respond by saying that I am exercising my right not to vote. Invariably, they are appalled, which is the general idea. And ultimately, I’m joking but don’t ever give them the satisfaction of knowing that. But behind every joke is some truth, and here are my real arguments for my made-up stance.

I don’t think anyone who says they are anti-war is really going to be able to put in place a plan that brings our troops home in a year, and there are policies in place that will prohibit my being drafted. So the war debate, as either pulling out or pressing on is kind of a wash for how it would most directly affect me. I’m not a millionaire, as much I would like to dream that I am. I don’t have money in the stock market right now, as much as I would like to wish that I did. So violent economic changes don’t have the affect on me that they would have on say, someone who owns a bank. And, knock on wood, I am generally healthy, so a radical overhaul of the healthcare system won’t rock me to my very core either. I know that I will one day be more concerned about these things, but for now, it serves my purposes to make my argument the way I am, so I do. And besides those 3 things, what else is anyone campaigning on?

Here’s who wins my vote: I am voting for the candidate who makes the best platform on the practical application of alternative fuels in the immediate future. We all know that gas prices are at record highs. As a matter of fact, if one more person declares this in public forum like it’s a secret, I’m gonna scream. Diesel is already over $4/gallon, and regular is on it’s way. On the radio this morning, someone speculated that it is realistic that gas prices will hit as much at $10/gallon in the next 3 years. Personally, I don’t see how that’s possible? It seems to me that the economy will grind to a halt. Actually, it won’t even take that long. In the very near future, people are going to start to realize that it’s no longer going to be cost effective to drive to work. So either people are going to start walking, riding bike, taking mass transit, or work from home, there will be a breakdown in socio-economic stability, or we, as a population, are going to have to reevaluate the importance and dependence of oil in our economy.

People will tie this in with the war, and it will come from both sides: we need to withdraw our troops from the middle east to prohibit further damage to oil fields and to reduce the oil needed for waging the war! No we need to press on to win the war so we can have a great say and amount of control over these fields then prices will drop! You’re both wrong. Standard inflation will continue to increase the cost of going to work everyday. Assuming we pull out of the war tomorrow, or fight another 10 years, it’s not a solution. There’s no salvation, just a slower death.

So there you have it. That’s my political rant, and the only one I will have for another 4 years. Whoever has a plan to compel the country to apply alternative fuels, you get my one, small, individual vote.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home